Monday, March 5, 2012

2 Years Ago Today

Today marks the 2 year anniversary of our (me and the kids) arrival in Brazil.  It's hard to believe it's been 2 years already.  I remember how hot it was that day, and how green everything was.  I remember dragging Beatrice past the security guard to deposit her in Daddy's arms, and then how I ignored the same security guard who told me I couldn't go back in to get my luggage.  I remember how amazed I was by our friends Marcio and Luiza and their family; they were so generous and hospitable, giving up beds and space in their tiny apartment.  I remember crying when I saw that all our luggage and totes had actually made it.  I remember the noise, the horns, the people talking in a language that I couldn't understand at all.  I remember thinking that the city was alive with sounds, people, music and energy.  And I remember that I was totally overwhelmed. 

I think that living an expat life requires a certain kind of "crazy."  Being an expat is not for everyone.  I love it, but I recognize that not everyone can do what we are doing.  Living this way demands flexibility, the ability to accept the unknown, to hold two opposing truths together simultaneously, and a huge amount of patience.  And perseverance.  The past two years have been full of learning, growing, and doing things that I never thought I'd really be able to do.  This experience has changed me, and changed our family. 

We moved from the desert to the cerrado (pronounced seh-rah-du, meaning tropical savanna).  There were many wonderful things about living in Arizona, and it was a hard, hot, dry place.  I'd like to think that our move has been metaphorical; that we had been in a harsh, difficult climate.  And now we are dwelling in a flourishing, abundant and fertile place, growing and becoming better people.

10 comments:

  1. Fertility certainly describes my area of Brazil, too. Your post is energizing, sweet and quite accurately descriptive! I love 'hold 2 opposing truths simultaneously.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Would you write my life story, Shell! Love the way you work those words! I would agree that your family has flourished in wonderful Brazil and it goes beyond what could have transpired in that "hard, hot, dry place!" Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your huge milestone! You are right, the expat life is not for everyone, but it sounds like you have what it takes. I was an expat at one time, and I miss it -- most of it, not all. I miss the challenge, honestly, because it makes you grow. I don't miss the longing for family and "my people". I love that you have such a positive outlook on it. That is your key to success! How much longer do you guys plan on being there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! Thanks for your lovely words and for sharing your daily life. It's fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Brazilversary! Time flies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being an expat definitely isn't for everyone but more people should try it. I've found that you appreciate more the people and things back home because of the distance and the "saudade". You also learn to see things in a different light and not take certain points of view for granted. Chances are, things are done differently in your new country and neither way is right or wrong, or better or worse (not in an absolute sense anyway), just different.

    Congratulations and keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was such a beautiful post. Happy Brazilian anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What perfect timing for me to read this as it gives me hope! We just arrived in Belo Horizonte yesterday. I've lived in Europe, Asia and Australia, but that was before I had kids. Living the expat life with kids is 10,000 times more challenging. There's the guilt of taking your kids away from everyone they know and love is hard and then there's the challenge of finding good doctors and schools. It was so much easier when I just had to worry about myself! But we found tortillas today so life just got a little easier for me already :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa! Welcome to BH, and I hope our paths cross. Yes, it's true that add kids to the mix makes it more complicated. But after 2 years, I'd say that they have adjusted really well, they are fluent in Portuguese, and they have made some great friends. It's been good for them too!

    ReplyDelete