Saturday, September 17, 2011

another story of a family of 5 moving abroad

My husband is a religious reader of the New York Times, and recently came across this article about a correspondent that moved his family of 5 to Russia.  He enrolled his kids in school there without them speaking a word of Russian, and he writes about what it was like for them.  I've been thinking a lot about this article, and I'm remembering what a gift it is to our children to live here, learning how to solve problems, learning to cope, learning another language and to learn first hand about another culture.  This article has been very timely, as I've been worrying a lot about my children's education.  We worry if Dora is stimulated enough, has enough to read, or if she feels like she is being held back.  We worry about Sebastian as an auditory learner in a classroom with discipline issues and 15 boys, and we worry about him saying that he wants to go back to school in the states because it made him "better."  These are still concerns, but reading this article helps me have some perspective, and counter-balances many of the things that keep me up at night.  I hope you like it:

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/z-is-the-first-letter-of-the-alphabet/

No comments:

Post a Comment