Ouch! I just got back from the 6th trip to buy school supplies. I knew it was going to be pricey, but Nossa! (‘Nossa’ is a Portuguese word meaning ‘ours’, and is also used to mean something like ‘wow!’ or ‘oh my gosh!’). Granted, we do have 3 kids, but it's getting a little ridiculous...
1. R$24 One school shirt. I had hoped to buy more shirts and books, but I went shopping 2 1/2 weeks before classes started, so of course they didn't have anything in stock. I mean, what was I thinking?
2. R$60 for pens, notebooks, sketch books, pastas (the Brazilian plastic version of Pee-Chees
3. US$??? Glue sticks, Elmer's glue, erasers, pencil sharpeners, scissors, highlighters, pens, all found for a steal at Office Max (thanks Mom and Dad!!!)
4. R$160 Books and 2 school field trip tee shirts
5. R$60 More notebooks, paper, big paper, notebooks for practicing cursive, notebooks for math...
6. R$200 Books
And the sad thing is that we still have to buy agendas (i.e. school calendars that include all parent-teacher communication) which are R$25 each, and I have to buy at least 4 more books!!!!!! This is like buying books and supplies for college courses, and my kids are all under the age of 10. No wonder there are so many families here with just one child!
Butchers, Nationalism, and Empathy
5 months ago