Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spanish language mistakes

I've been lucky enough to connect with the music teacher at the Elementary school in my home town in Cashmere, WA.  I got to see her again in January, and observed her class a few times.  Since she did me the favor of letting me sit in on her classes, I thought I'd return it by teaching her students a little capoiera.  My kids have taken capoeira classes at school, so I asked them to help.  We had a great time practicing with Grandma and Grandpa, and my kids were really excited to share.

However, I can now add to my accomplishments swearing at native Spanish speakers while trying to teach Portuguese.  You may remember my language boo boo with the " song.  Well, while talking to the first and second graders about capoeira, I asked them to make a "roda."  Then I told them that "roda" meant circle in Portuguese, and asked them to repeat it several times with me.  "Roda, roda, roda."    I saw the Spanish speaking kids snicker.  And then as they repeated "roda" several times (again), and started getting embarrassed, I was stumped.  It wasn't until I got home that I remembered that "roda" is pronounced like "joda" which comes from "joder" in Spanish.  If you don't know what that means, look
here.

No comments:

Post a Comment