Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Kino, Kiwano or Horned Melon

Last week I found this crazy looking "fruit" at school:















The package said "kino," and I said, "I have to try this!"  Unfortunately, it pretty much just tasted like water.  I cut it open, and it had LOTS of little seeds inside.  It kind of looked like maracuja (passion fruit), but the seeds were lighter.  Wikipedia says it tastes tart, so I must have tried one that wasn't very mature, or just plain bad.  Here are some better pictures:
http://todaoferta.uol.com.br/comprar/sementes-de-kiwano-TKU9Q24WRD#rmcl
Wikipedia also says that it's a traditional food plant in parts of Africa.  Interesting looking, and I found some really fascinating pictures of it online (makes a good subject) but not a fruit I'd recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment