Saturday, June 23, 2012

Jabuticaba

The husband came home from our favorite grocery store with an impulse purchase:





 
They are harvested twice a year--November, and now!   I've had them before (thanks to Fruit Day at school, which has provided me with lots of different exotic fruits to try).  They look kind of like grapes, and they have a big seed (pit?) in the middle.  The skin is a little sour, and my husband prefers to eat them without the skin, but I like them with.

And thanks to my wikipedia research, they are native to Minas Gerais.  They have a very short shelf life (3 or 4 days), so they are pretty much unknown outside of our state.  The other fascinating thing is that the fruit grows on the trunk of the tree.  I've never seen it in person, but someday:

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm... love your blog specially the part about the fruits! My city (Brasilia) has a whole neighbourhood (in Asa Norte) full with these trees and we would spend days collecting them and eating buckets full when we were kids... My mouth watered when I saw the picture... they are really sweet when ripe and you squeeze them out of the sour skin. Enjoying the memory of jabuticaba stains on everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful memory--thanks for sharing! I have the same kind of memories for blackberries and cherries :-)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you shared this because we have cousins in Jaboticabal and everyone kept telling me that it is named after the fruit, but that made no sense to me because I had no idea what fruit they were talking about. Apparently there are a LOT of Jaboticaba trees there, but whenever we go (usually March) they just look like trees to me... this would be why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jaboticaba even has a festival in November that I've been wanting to attend!

      Delete
  3. Totally weird! Love all the regional fruits!! Our area apples, pears, peaches, apricots, etc. Plus native huckleberries in the Northwest! But don't have anything that grows on a trunk!!!

    ReplyDelete