My sister is coming to visit in July--hoooray! I'm making plans for while she is here. Here is my list of things that we must do while she is here (besides play with the kids, and enjoy adult beverages):
1. Walk/hike Mangabeiras. We live about 10 minutes from this park. Every time I go there I think, "I should come here more often." And I keep talking to Brazilians that have NEVER visited the park. Such a shame--it is a treasure!
2. Visit a historic city (Ouro Preto/Tiradentes/Diamantina). We are probably going to go to Tiradentes because we haven't been there, and it's not as far as Diamantina.
3. Mercado Central. Love love love the Mercado. You can find all sorts of random things there, and it is so colorful, noisy and Brazilian.
4. Sunday Hippie Fair. All sorts of kitchy things for sale. Every Sunday. Plus you get to people watch, see some Capoeira, street performers, and eat food on a stick. Fun times.
5. Inohtim. Another hidden secret about Minas Gerais. One of the best places in the world to see large art exhibitions. A beautiful location, with beautiful art. I've heard that the food at the restaurant is really yummy too. We opted out last time because we knew the kids were too picky, and it wasn't worth the money. But maybe this time...
6. Vale Verde. Even before we moved here I read about Vale Verde. But we've yet to visit. I think my sister's trip here might just motivate us to get our behinds over there.
7. Go to hubby's concert. Of course. Best. Orchestra. In. Brazil.
8. Eat pão de queijo, drink cachaça, enjoy churrasacaria, eat by the kilo. All the yumminess we can handle.
9. Take the bus. This has been so much a part of my experience living here, I just think that she has to enjoy it with me. Plus, she is so incredibly awesome that she took "3 taxis, a motorized canoe, and a horse-cart" in a 10 hour trip, just to get her tourist visa. My sister rocks.
Other suggestions of sights to see in Minas Gerais/Belo Horizonte?
5 months ago