Thursday, January 27, 2011

Moqueca

I decided to treat my parents to some Brazilian food while visiting Washington state. My friend Corinne (who many of you fellow expat bloggers know!) suggested that I make Moqueca. "What?" I sadly responded. Somehow I'd managed to live in Brazil for 10 months and not try Moqueca, a yummy type of fish stew with coconut milk, cilantro, tomatoes, onions, pepper and dende oil. I mentioned it to my husband, and he said, "oh yeah, that's what I ate when I spent the night on the Amazon..." I bought Dende Oil in BH, and then used this recipe and this one (the Baiana version) to create my Moqueca. I wish I could say this was my picture,



but I borrowed it from one of my favorite food blogs. If only my kids liked fish, I'd add this to my repertoire.


5 comments:

  1. glad everyone liked it! Luckily Kevin likes fish, so this is a go to dish for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably my FAVORITE Brazilian dish. Hands down. When it is nice and spicy it reminds me a bit of Thai food -- which I also love.

    If you have dende oil and coconut milk, the rest is easy. And if you can cook it in a clay pot - heaven.

    Good for you for sharing it with your family. Perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes, I have been here 20 months and never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my fav. brazilian foods, from Bahia and don't eat it in restaurants.... never good, find a friend from Salvador and have them cook it... or like this try make it yourself. I prefer to let someone else do it...

    ReplyDelete