Thursday, January 13, 2011

Things that go crash in the night

As I was going to sleep last night, I heard some strange crashing noise outside.  But thankfully I was tired enough to fall asleep pretty quickly.  But then in the middle of the night, I got woken up by a red headed 3 year old who had a bad dream.  After comforting her, I crawled back into bed, but I couldn't get back to sleep, because I kept hearing this really loud crashing/banging noise at random intervals.  I was starting to get really frustrated, and resorted to my middle of the night logic, and concluded that it had to be one of the following things:

1.  Someone throwing rocks at a metal fence, trying to get out their aggression at 3 am.
2.  Cars driving over a loose manhole or one of those metal things that covers road construction.  Even though I knew there had been no road construction and there are no manholes on the street behind our house.
3.  Construction workers banging away at random.  This may seem far fetched, but I had seen a man spraying the freshly laid concrete at the apartment being built two buildings down at 10 pm.

I finally got up, and stared out the window.  After a few minutes, I finally realized what was making this loud noise (not any of the above).  Any guesses? 

Falling mangoes. Yep, my favorite fruit kept me up last night. The school behind our house has a HUGE mango tree, and because of the wind and rain, the ripe ones were falling off the tree, crashing onto the tin roof of gym. Who woulda known?

3 comments:

  1. Gotta love Brazil! Now you can sleep knowing another simple ambient sound...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA that is great! I would love to come across a mango tree near by, especially one that is dropping mangos that often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds delicious and at the same time OUCH!!!!
    Alexander, 8 years old
    San Carlos, CA

    ReplyDelete