Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sun

As most of you have probably heard from the news, it's been raining LOTS in Brazil. Thankfully, we are safe, and Belo Horizonte is a long way away from the horrible mudslides. My thoughts go out to all those who have suffered in this disaster.

And, we are grateful for sun. I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, and enjoyed the rain, and didn't think that grey weather really affected me all that much. Then we moved to Arizona. I remember waking up one morning in Tempe, and opening the blinds, and telling Matt, "looks like another nice day!" and feeling so good about it (despite the fact that it was super hot). And I realized that sunshine really did make a difference for me. The best part of sunny days here, is that we can play outside, and go swimming. Summer vacation (in my mind) is supposed to be the time when kids play outside, and spend hours by the pool. When it's raining like cats and dogs, it's hard to keep the kids (and parents happy). And honestly, there's not a whole heck of a lot to do indoors in Belo Horizonte this time of years. It's vacation, so the city has a very sleepy, slow pace, and several museums are closed. But here's to sunshine!

And I'm going to leave it! I'm taking a trip back to the states for the first time in 10 months to visit family. I'm SOOO looking forward to it. But before I leave, I'm stuffing myself with mangoes (mangoes for breakfast and Jim's yummy Mango Banana Sorbet. So you probably won't hear from me much more the month of January, but don't worry. I'll be gorging myself on Mexican Food and getting some quality time with my parents.


3 comments:

  1. oh fun! yay WA! are you going by yourself? 10 months isnt that long, i wont be going until June, that's 16 months!! wish tickets weren't so damn expensive. i told my mom all i want is mex food for three weeks when im there. I was talking to a French teacher at a little school here the other day and said i was from Seatte WA and he said oh, i did Rotary in Cashmere WA like 5 years ago. Wierd and kinda sad :P i hope it stops raining in BH, im driving to BH tomorrow for a birthday party and the drive is 6 hours so if it rains the whole time it will be longer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ps i meant 18 months, even sadder!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been enjoying the sun. Nice days in BH.

    I just found your blog. I guess I'll read the new posts.

    ReplyDelete